Sunday, June 29, 2008

Splitsville

Our ward split today. In the not quite three years that we have lived here, we have split three times, and had four bishops. I am a firm believer of change being a good thing. With each new ward comes a new dynamic and new opportunity for growth. I must admit that I don't really know our new bishop. He and his family moved here recently and I have only spoken to his wife briefly. I must admit that with my busy life and all my energy being put into keeping my children alive and fed, the details seem to become less important. And though I will seek to confirm my sustainment of our new bishopric through prayer, I trust that everything will fall into place as needed. This means I was also released from my callings and I have to say I am a little relieved. Don't worry Mom- I accept all callings and will accept more callings as they may come:).

It all made me think back on the little branches I served in as a missionary. There were members who would drive two hours each way just to come to church. And I never heard a complaint. I think about those humble members and how having a new temple less than 12 hours away was the ultimate gift to them. And they would readily show their devotion to building up the church and sharing the gospel no matter how difficult. They would bake fresh bread just for the sacrament and drive long distances to sit with a lonely friend.

So I guess along with change today I was brought a feeling of gratitude for having so many things available to us here and a sense of longing for the days of mission life -being surrounded by some of the most valiant people I have ever met. (Disclaimer: This does not in any way directly or inderectly, partially or completely, suggest, imply or non-verbally indicate that there are not truly valiant people living here as well.) Aaaaaand we're done.

5 comments:

Juli said...

Congratulations on your (undoubtedly) brief break from major church responsibilities =).

And hip hip hooray for change--keeps us on our toes!

Jonathan said...

sign it sister!!!!!

Melanie said...

It will be interesting to see how many times before Shawn gets home the ward or bishopric can change...perhaps they are buying time for Shawn to come home and make him the bishop.

ali said...

I know what you mean about change. it's good but also hard sometimes! Enjoy your break from callings!

JM said...

Okay-this is my first official comment on your blog. Yep, I'm a silent reader. I know this is an old entry but you brought up the mish! Yeah, its true, I think its a different kind of dedication when you really have to live to be an example and be dedicated the way people outside Utah do. Geez, that was a long time ago. Still miss it though, Licorice Lips!

From: Muffin Head